Thursday, June 15, 2017

A sad story

Cycling uphill for a while, I needed to rest. I saw a turn in the road ahead of me that seemed to be a great spot to look at the view below. There was a car parked there too.

Just below me, on the slope of the mountain, a young woman, about 20 I guess, was trying to sling a rope over a branch of a tree. I saw that the branch was low and the rope was too thin to support anything, so to be sure that I am not jumping into conclusions, I waited and watched. She had not noticed me yet. Finally, she managed to get the rope over the branch and put it around her neck.

“I wouldn’t do that if I were you”  I said. She threw it off and let out a cry and startled sob. “Where did you come from"? “Israel”, I said, “my name is David, and I just cycled to this point. Other than with the rope, can I help you with anything"? “No” she sobbed and begun crying. “I guess this is a bad day”, I said hoping to engage her in conversation. “What’s this about"? “It is about someone who does’t even care”. “So”,I said, “it is about love”. “And everything”, she replied. “Is there anyone you want to call"?. “No”. “Do you want to talk about it"? “No”. “Let’s go back to the car and maybe talk there” I suggested. She pushed the rope away, as if to say that she has given up on this idea; “Here, I’ll leave this here and go to my car”. She took her keys out, got into her car and looked around carefully before heading back downhill.

I took a photo of the car and called 911. Even without cellular coverage, the phone announced  “turning on radio” and the call went through. After giving all details, the operator thanked me.

On I go...no more than five minutes pass, the sheriff pulls over by my side. “Are you the guy that called in? We’ve sent someone to the address of the registration number and still looking for her”.

I hope they have found her. Alive.
I hope she realizes that she will get over this someone.
I hope she leads a happy life.
I hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment