Friday, July 7, 2017

On my way to Yellowstone


The other day, the forecast was 20% chance  for thunderstorms. It turned into 100% twice.
During a relatively easy but long distance of cycling up hill with very strong head wind, the sky suddenly turned gray, then black but no rain as yet. I reached the summit. I started descending, thunder, lightning (the other way round...) and then, on the left, a small town with a small pub appeared. The two (motor)  bikers who overtook me just moments ago were parked outside the pub. There was another customer already there,  so the four of us were chatting, “ from where, to where”?, and so on. The storm has passed (come and goes away quickly). Steve, the owner refused to take money from me. "You're an Israeli ...". But it's a business, I insist, “yes”, he replies, "and I am doing just fine...".

Got back on my bicycle hoping to get to Ennis. Just about 12 km before I make it, the storm starts again. The coat does its job. As my luck goes, there was a lodge with a restaurant that I managed to reach before getting drenched by the rain. They did, indeed, have vacancy for the mere price of 169 dollars. I declined. But it's nice and dry inside so I sat at the bar. The man on my right asks the usual. Where did you get to sleep? So I told him that I hoped the lodge would be nice, but the price was too high, so when the storm ends I’ll go on to Ennis and find a motel. "I have the best place for you." He gives me instructions on how to get there and hosts me in a separate hut. What a generous and hospitable person!!! Thanks Derek!

I went to sleep. I woke up to the strongest earthquake in the region in years. The bed moved, all the accessories in the room calmly swung from side to side. And then a great silence! I went back to sleep.

1 comment: